Friday, September 4, 2015

The Sweet Hurt

Aristotle once said "The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances". 

Like how we used to take a relaxed walk in the park, this quote gently strolled into my mind when I was working on Tuesday in my bay amidst the intense pain caused by my severely sustained injuries in the road accident. On Monday evening, I felt I was okay despite my severe lacerations, abrasions and gashes on my hand and leg. The doctors were very surprised that I had no fractures for such an awful accident. They had asked me to take bed rest for a couple of days. I did exactly what was told for my body to heal and recover itself. So, I decided on Monday evening that the time was right for me to go to work on Tuesday in spite of the my mom's repeated insistence to stay at home and take rest on Tuesday too. 

As usual, I started to work by 820 am. But, instead of reaching by 9am , I reached the office by 920 am. It was not the traffic. The problem was that I couldn't grip the accelerator properly as a severe abrasion on my right hand and laceration near my right elbow prevented me from driving at the appropriate speed. To make matters worse, when I gripped and turned the accelerator using my right hand, I could feel the tremendous gravitational pull near my right elbow. I realized it was just the strain that was caused due to the immense pressure that I exerted when I kept my elbow straight during the drive. After a harrowing driving experience, I reached the office by 920 am. While parking the vehicle, one of my colleague was exceedingly appalled on seeing the state I was in. I did not realize that my situation was THAT bad until then. This was just the beginning. My entire team were horrified when they just gave me a superficial look at my hands. I was thanking God that they did not have the opportunity to see my knees. The gash was beyond the normal words of description. I knew then I had committed a grave crime by going to the office in such a disturbing condition. Wrapping up my work and giving the schedule for the week to my team, I left from work by 5 pm. 

The return journey was as torturous as the morning drive. The only difference was that the searing pain had multiplied exponentially to inexplicable magnitude. I drove straight to the hospital to have my injuries examined by the doctor. Having had a few comforting & chiding words from her, I realized that my guilt was killing me inside for going to the work place in that agonized plight. 

"Your best teacher is your last mistake" - This adage gave me the much needed easement and relief from my guilt. But, it was still persisting in my system like a impending volcanic eruption. Ultimately, I grasped the core crux of the matter and finally got the picture accurately - "We see things as we are and not as they are" 

There is always always always a silver, gold or platinum lining to every situation. It is just that we need to keep both our physical and mental eyes in complete unison and in a state of consciousness to receive the message when we start looking and analyzing things differently.

Though the nasty hurt is very bitter even now, there is a gentle pleasantness in it too. 

No comments: