Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Prodigious Power of Passion


"Success comes to those who dedicate everything to their passion in life. To be successful, it is also very important to be humble and never let fame or money travel to your head."
- A.R. Rahman

Though the definition of success is highly subjective and individualistic, the essential secret ingredient to achieve one's own definition of success is by following one's passion in their lives. 

We have seen and heard many famous celebrities and eminent sports personalities speak enthusiastically with a positive vigor when asked about their respective vocations. When we closely look at them speak, we can see for ourselves the sparkle in their eyes and how fired up, committed and exuberant they are when discussing their daily routines. This is the effect that passion can have on a person.

"You have to be burning with an idea, or a problem, or a wrong that you want to right. If you're not passionate enough from the start, you'll never stick it out."
- Steve Jobs
No wonder Steve Jobs was exceptionally successful in developing the highly revolutionary, innovative, admirable and profitable Apple products despite the fact that he was kicked out rather unceremoniously from his own company. I am not going to go in detail about Steve Jobs or his accomplishments. The world already knows it. This blog is going to be focussed specifically on what passionate people does different which makes them to stand out unique in their professions from the normal and average people.  
First, let me start with the burning question - what's passion?. Simply put, if you can wake up on a fine Monday morning and say "Yahooooo! Google!! Bing!!! I am going to work today". Voila! You are infected with passion and the prognosis of your medical condition is that you are condemned to work more productively and happily. 
Passion is the innate, ever-producing power-source that enables an individual to find their true calling in their profession so as to have a definite meaning and purpose in their lives. It need not be confined to professions alone. It can also be extended to your avocations or relationships too. Thus, Passion is the impelling force of an individual which is extremely motivated from within that enables them to attain their goals thereby making a dent in the world around them.
As we spend a greater part of our 168 hours at work, it is very much imperative that you do something that excites and drives you to not to just earn money but also to excel and shine brightly like the sun. Money, fame, status and respect are the by products of our work. Unless there is enough commitment from our end, neither money nor status is achievable. I have seen many people grumbling and complaining that they do not like the work they are doing. Gradually, this leads to severe cognitive dissonance and causes stress to crawl into them like a snail. As a result, they become dissatisfied and unhappy. Even if they decided to switch companies, unless and until the work is up to their liking that suits their personality aptly, they would be caught up in a perpetual web of job changes and disgruntlement. 
For instance, I like sales a lot. I see sales as an opportunity to solve the other person's problems. It makes me happy when the people who buy the products from me are satisfied and happy. But, I love writing very much. It is not that I do not like Sales but speaking relatively, my preference would be towards writing. As a kid when I started to read comics and then slowly transitioned to novels, I have always been fascinated by the art of writing. In fact, I started my blog as I found it an ideal medium to express my passion whenever I found time in my spare time. I knew when I started my blog that I was not a good writer. I used to get continuous feedbacks and suggestions from my very close friends who are really good in the language so that I can improve myself as a writer. I took their suggestions very seriously and implemented them in my subsequent blogs. Gradually, they were able to see a marked improvement in my quality and standard of writing. The changes were immensely visible to them. I just write because it keeps me extremely happy and realize my full potential. As a matter of fact, I was disconnected from my blogs for more than 2 years. I did not have any sense of purpose - just work, come back home, work and come back home. It was very good for me to rediscover my writing side once again. Now, I am looking forward everyday to see something new and interesting in my life so that whenever I had the time I could connect with my passion and articulate it, thus ensuring that the spark in me is kept flaming in constantly without fanning out.
This is my personal experience. But, there are still many people out there who want to pursue something but does something else. In the short-term, life will be all dandy and full of candy. However, when encountered with failures and defeats, you will be ready to cave into the pressure of your frustration leaving you behind with considerably sufficient lack of fulfillment. But,when an activity is pursued with passion, it is like a spring which makes a person to be truly resilient despite several failures in their attempts. It creates the mental toughness to withstand any obstacle and makes you to realize your real potential to tear apart those stumbling blocks and emerge out as a beautiful butterfly amidst the many turbulent turmoils. 
Passion makes you to be tenacious, resolute and patient with your ideas and ideals to accomplish the objectives to its fruition. Also, passion drives you to take more risks and makes you to move out of your comfortable zone to live your dreams. It gives you the clear focus and the clarity to enable you to decide what should be done and what should not be done so that you can invest your valuable time and effort in shaping up the future. 
To sum it up,
"If you don't love what you do, you won't do it with much conviction or passion."
-Mia Hamm
Epilogue:
I started writing this blog around 840pm. I had no idea until I saw the time that 150 minutes had elapsed since I had begun writing tonight. Discover your passion too!!

No comments: