Sunday, June 12, 2016

Delhi Highway - A Satisfying Expressway to a starving stomach!

They say "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach". Delhi Highway has taken this particular words of wisdom very seriously in terms of their quality of food, choice of food, excellent service or elegant decor.  

On a hot and sunny day, I was traversing through the busy Nungambakkam roads @ speeds matching that of a snail! It was then I could hear a bunch of butterflies fluttering fastly at breakneck pace in my tummy. Nungambakkam is known for its slew of restaurants especially the KNK road. Taking some turns along the many twists of the road, I finally reached the Wallace Garden Road. Out of nowhere, I came across the sign "Lunch @ 499". There was no second, third or fourth thought. I simply went into the place for the first time without having any expectation by merely looking at the price. 

Two menu cards were given to me after I had seated comfortably and ordered for regular water. As soon as I saw the first menu card, I decided that it would be a criminal waste of time to look at the second a la carte. The reason was simple enough. The "Lunch @ 499" was made available in the Table d'hote that was given first!

SO, my delicious lunch started with an appetising tomato shorba that was very stimulating followed by an out-of-the-world sev puri. As of this day, I have never tasted such a mouth-watering Sev Puri in Chennai! My Goodness!! I can still feel the taste dancing on my tongue! Tearing apart myself from the tantalizing Sev Puri, I was then greeted with 3 entrees. One was Paneer and I forgot the names of the other two. The waitperson was very eager to serve more entrees as he knew I liked them very much. But, as I was starving, wanting and waiting to sink all my teeth into the main course, I forcefully restrained myself by not indulging in more of the appetizers. 

The main course included a fantastic Veg Biriyani, 2 Naan and 2 Rotis to go along with the 4 side dishes and Kheer. Palak Paneer was simply the best of the sides along with the Kheer. The waitperson saw that I was relishing to the core and promptly wanted to refill my bread basket. However, all my butterflies were completely satisfied and flew away with a small butterfly just about waiting for the dessert. 

Yes.It was dessert time. Chocolate or Strawberry? was the choice offered to me and a scoopful of chocolate was placed before me in a matter of minutes. The bill read Rs. 500 inclusive of this tax, that tax and the other tax. 

If the price was the killer deal for such a sumptuous meal, then it's not over yet. Delhi Highway has different menu for every day from Monday to Friday. Now, I know where to head for to have a relatively inexpensive yet high quality Mittagessen. 

No comments: