Friday, July 14, 2017

Travel Diaries - Happiiieeeeeeee Hong Kong! - Part 1

After a quick stop @ Ramana Ashram to pay obeisance to the Master once when the physically and mentally demanding Vipassana programme came to a definitive concluding halt, it was time to head home on my lawyer friend's insistence. Depending on the magnitude, physical injuries and bruises would be quickly healed as time progresses but the psychological and emotional scars have a longer recovery period. Being @ home and within the confines of the 4 walls, it was like a hangry tiger roaming in its cage with great distress and wanted to be relieved of its pain and suffering. I decided to travel again. Australia and New Zealand were good options as they had abundant adventure and tranquility in their picturesque attractions. Unfortunately, my tour operator friend had suggested that I will be spending a fortune on the flight tickets if I were to book them ASAP then and that Pattaya &Bangkok would be a relatively cheaper and better alternative than the Antipodeans.   

He also furthered the trip by saying that Hong Kong is a fantastic place with the likes of Disney Land and a myriad thrilling rides in the Aquarium besides the parasailing and other fun-filled activities @ Pattaya besides meditation @ Buddhist temples in Bangkok. I loved his reco as he clearly and exactly understood my needs for my wanting to travel and suggested places that were well within my budget as well. So, it was HK first followed by Thailand. That was the only way my flight tickets were cheap at that point of time.

Everything was smooth until the immigration @ HK. The officer was hurling question after question at me like Arjuna using his Gandiva until he was satisfied with the necessary documents that he asked like the hotel reservation @ HK, Flight ticket to Thailand etc. Some of them would have been terribly irked at such a rough treatment. But, I understood that he was extremely concerned and was only doing his duty so that no unnecessary person disturb the peace and harmony of their nation. As I had nothing to hide, it took me a while to clear the Immi and proceed to mainland. Nevertheless, I was immensely impressed with the officer as he was very methodical in his approach when he had a slight doubt about me as I was travelling solo and didn't cave in to unwarranted assumptions or verdicts but to deal the issue at hand in a systematic and objective manner. When his qualms were naturally quelled, he waved me a big 'Happy Hong Kong'. Yeah. He left me an early and huge positive impression about the citizens of Hong Kong as sincere, hard-working and warm people who take their job seriously and put their country first even if it meant to tough ball a tourist to their country. 

It was cloudy and rainy when I got into the cab that was reserved to take me to my hotel. I felt like my precious money was also getting soaked and drenched with the waters quickly coming down from the heavens like how school children rush from the gates to their homes when the last bell is rung.

Having a face like a wet weekend, I had to complete the formalities @ the Hotel and prayed to Lord Varuna to put the rains to a recess as I had to visit The Peak Tram and Madame Tussauds in the evening. Luckily, Lord Varuna showed his mercy. The weather was chilly to the extent that I had to wear my sweatshirt. Making a short stopover at other hotels to gather the rest of the tourists, we made our way to the first itinerary @ HK. 

I had already been warned by my tour operator friend that HK was an expensive city. I found out how insanely it was during the short stay at this wonderful place. It was then I had an another realization that the prices appeared exorbitant to me but in reality it was at the cost of living according to HK's standards. Most of the people were active and there was constant hustle and bustle in the city. There was an electrifying energy in the cool and refreshing air. It was time for all of us to see the beautiful city's skylines in the night under the brilliant lights.

                                                          X---To be Concluded---X

No comments: