Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Vignesh 50 - Breaking the Convention

Whoaaaa! 50 blogs this year...okay....50 blogs in 4 months time! I never realized that a simple change in mindset can reap in enormous benefits as a blogger. When I started writing my blogs during my engineering days, I was very stubborn that my blogs must necessarily have an element of story weaved in and built into the blog so that the reader does not feel any forlorn sense of humdrumness and prosaicness when they read my blogs. I wanted to give my readers an authentic and fresh user experience so that they not only dip into my blogs but also thoroughly enjoy the activity. But, when I was made to realize that I had written only 8 blogs during the course of 5 years and no blog had been tagged against my name for the past 2 years, I knew I have to take corrective measures to set things right.

The first and foremost action which I undertook was to be reflective and be consciously aware of my negative mindset which was serving as an obstacle for me to move forward to be a better writer. It took me a while to change my perspective. But, once when it was done, I was ready and up for the challenge. I have been writing on many subjects like Movie reviews, Food reviews, Cricket, Tennis, Festival, Floods and my own Personal escapades. Even the love story, which I had intended to write for more than 2 years, was written as teasers. I had also tried out many writing styles - linear, non-linear, fiction and non-fiction - to expand the repertoire of my writing skills and not being labelled as one-dimensional for my writing style. What I had learnt in Marketing during my MBA days is very simple and straightforward - to tailor make the content as per the intended audience and strike the right chord with them. I guess that my MBA is also integrated whenever I began to type in a new blog.

I had given my blogs to be reviewed by my friends. It was well-received and appreciated by everyone. What started as an amateurish work has seen a marked and tremendous upswing in terms of grammar,choice of words and content which was inferred by me from the feedback given by my friends. It was then I felt that no sense of complacency should drill into my head and that I should work even harder from then to continuously improve and excel in this wonderful art. 

It was not just that. Writing gave me the freedom during my spare time to break away from the normal day-to-day infinite loop of only going to office and coming back home. I had lost myself without connecting to my better part for more than a year since I joined TCS. I am not going to blame TCS or the outside world for putting me through a very boring phase of life. I am responsible for my actions that I did not realize and take the initiative to ease down the clutter in my life by connecting with what I loved to do most - writing. In fact, I have started to love sales as much as I do for writing. Initially, I liked sales as it gave me the opportunity to solve people's problems and bring happiness to them. But now, Life is very colorful like a rainbow to me as soon as I had tore down the veil of monotony that severely hampered my everyday life. 

Ultimately, it is upto the person to perceive the things in the world either for the good or the bad. In my case, it turned out to be the former. 

No comments: