Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Hat Trick - Part 1

It started with an innocuous phone call to my friend with whom I hadn't spoken for quite some time. Knowing that I was badly injured after the accident and hadn't be up for a month during the weekends, his initial reaction was to catch up with some movie over the long weekend of Gandhi Jayanthi. Searching through the numerous movies in spi cinemas site, we finally decided to watch a comedy to start with on Oct 2nd. Little did we know that our assumed comic film would turn out to be a ridiculous and a farcical nonsense. After watching 'Kathi', my friend and I were under the false delusion that Vijay's 'Puli' would live up to the expectation set by its predecessor. As they say, Expectations hurt. My friend and I learnt it the hard way. I had booked for the 8am show @ S2 Thyagaraja and got up @ 6am itself for the movie. I have never even gotten up so early even during my classes in engineering! though experience has taught me that that's not the case in a professional working atmosphere. On time is the mantra ever since I started to work. It clearly reflected in the fact that I had reached 900 seconds before 8am and was waiting patiently for my friend to show up for the show. We stepped into the theatre and occupied our seats when the long needle in our watches struck 12 and the small needle was @ 8. Let the show begin!

The film would have been a massive hit had it been released in the theatres at least 15 years earlier. But now, at the beginning of the movie itself, my friend and I were in tears - sadness and hilariousness. Sadness - as we had missed out on our good sound sleep and hilariousness because of the sound of idiotic punch dialogues thrown so loosely, unintelligently and effusively in the movie. As we hadn't watched movie for more than a month, my friend and I wondered whether it is only we who had lost our sense of cinematic touch.  But, excepting the die hard vijay fans in the theatre, everyone else shared our miserable plight of sadness and desperation to punch those punch dialogues! The best was yet to come. After one point of time, when things became really unbearable, the theatre was abuzz with numerous outright and downright comments which were extremely hilarious and worth every penny hearing those witty and sarcastic dialogues compared to the mundane-MGResque sentimental dialogue scenes. The entertaining comments from the audience were more than chucklesome. It left us with a rib tickling, hysterical and too funny for words laughter throughout the film. Leaving aside the good portion of the film which is we making snide remarks, the worse part was yet to come. Puli was totally a jumbled assemblage from comics, novels, hollywood movies and MGR films. The director had copied from Gulliver's travels - the scenes where Vijay and his helper friends are in captive by the little men, Asterix - the potion which makes Vijay to acquire superhuman strength , Vampire and Twilight series - where the vedhalam have blue eyes and teeth like the vampires who have red eyes and fangs! But, the grand daddy of all this herculean copying effort is undoubtedly and unanimously reserved to Sri devi's costumes and reactions! I think the director might have watched Snow White and Maleficent many times to duplicate, imitate and replicate the costume designs and expressions for Sri devi's character!!  There is more.

------to be continued------

No comments: