Monday, October 26, 2015

A Stand Up comedy or a Sit Down tragedy? - Part 2

His sweet and innocent explanation was that as he had revealed his very personal bitter truth to us and it left him to be stark naked than his physical all-bareness. Unfortunately, the real post mortem began then!

The show was really good but I felt it could have better if certain things had been done right from Papa CJ's end. There were many loose ends which were needed to be tightened so that people like me wouldn't spot and question the obvious. So, what was the obvious? Simple. During his narration, he told us that he had done his MBA from Oxford. But, at the very beginning of the show, he also recounted that he had never been to college in his life. BINGO! A very big contradictory inconsistency. So, a nagging doubt was frequently bothering me throughout the show whether his entire storyline was simply a farce including his child's part and thus making a big mockery and a laughing stock out of us or was the part about his separated child was real? The main reason which made me to question the veracity of his narration was that he had done his MBA from Oxford. It said so in his Wikipedia and official page too though nothing was mentioned about his personal life. So, this guy was indeed brilliant, brainy and capable of weaving a storyline that can be emotionally and psychologically appealing by hitting hard at the core soft spots in the accepting audience of Chennai. In fact, that's what he did exactly. He touched a chord in every one of us by relating so copiously and lavishly to every one of us through his personal anecdotes and established a solid yet unbreakable connection within the 75 minute performance. He ensured that by the show's end we would empathize with him when we left the concert hall. Papa CJ was spot on in his intentions. 

I heard a 6 feet tall girl wearing a tight black t shirt and blue jeans next to me saying sadly to her boyfriend/husband "I hope the sun shines brightly on Papa CJ's personal life and he is reunited with his kid again". That comment of hers was the single moment of truth and sparked me to time travel in my memories from the very beginning of the show. I recollected almost everything that he had detailed out during the show and realized Papa CJ was more than brilliant. He was extremely, exceptionally and extraordinarily crafty. I realized that Papa CJ was very methodical in his approach and thoroughly meticulous in its execution. Nevertheless, the boiling anger that he had duped me with his veil of apparent comedy was still raging within me. However, this was just a stand up comedy. So, I just took it with a pinch of salt and appreciated the guy's effort to make us laugh for almost an hour's time. To make people laugh is a mighty difficult task and to make the close to 1000 different minds to unite and cheer up for him is an even more significant achievement. When I was walking towards the parking lot, I got reminded of the jokes he made on Indians' obsession of Value for Money. 

Smiling to myself, I felt that this show was worth only Rs.500 for a Rs750 ticket and Rs.350 for a Rs.500 ticket tag. I could have seen at least 3 movies in Sathyam theatre as I had unnecessarily paid an additional Rs.400 !  The show began half an hour late and lasted for only 15 minutes short of an hour and half duration. I felt "Nanum Rowdy Dhan" was a better bet as I was completely satisfied with the movie and held a big grin on my face for a long time when I left the theatre.  The film truly and rightfully justified the definition of Value for Money!

-----concluded-----

No comments: