Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Travel Diaries - Touristy Thailand - Part 1

Yep. Before I opened and closed my eyes in the flight from the thrilling Hong Kong Trip which was deeply saturated with excellent memories as Disney Land & Ocean Park, I was in the hot and sunny Don Muang Airport at Bangkok. I was duly picked up by the pre-reserved car which was also inclusive as a part of my tour package to Pattaya. It was Pattaya first and then Bangkok.

Logging into my hotel and wanting to stretch my legs a bit to have a decent Veg Indian Lunch after 5 days munching on Coke & Chips in Hong Kong, there was a Pure Veg Punjabi restaurant nearby to my hotel. Thanking Lord Krishna for his timely munificence, I ate to my heart's content eventhough it was only Roti and side dish. After what seemed like eternity, I reached my hotel as I was reeling under the after effects of a good meal. Hitting the sack, it was time for me to catch my forty winks. 

I was asked to call up the guide in the evening. As I didn't have any Thailand SIM, I had no other alternative but to call up the Makemytrip.com representative from the hotel pay booth in the evening to confirm the timings for the Alcazar Show. Promptly picking me up at the appointed time by the guide, the ticket was given by the 2 guides before the start of the show.

My Goodness! The Alcazar show was a spectacular display of country themes like China, Japan, India etc. by the men and women artists in a panoply of astonishing settings imbued with dazzling lights and performances. It was spell-binding. And you really cannot take your eyes off the stage. Such was the grandeur of the exhibition which sucked you in, like a whirlpool, into the show. 

When the show came to a tremendous applause end, we were given options for the best clubs in the city to spend the night. As I was not a party animal, I headed straight back to the hotel to get my remaining sleep due to the jet lag experienced earlier in the day from HK to Thailand. En route to the hotel, there was a road side shop which sold Pancakes. The guide recommended that it was a good place to a sink your teeth in if you wanted to have a cheap dinner. I had ordered a Banana Pancake. It was fantastic and my dinner was done then and there. The hotel was just 10 minutes walk from that place and I had a wonderful z'ssss before another long day for some high octane action.

The guides took us to an island in a speed boat for adventure sports like Parasailing, Coral Walking etc. It was Coral Island.  I was given the choice by them to select which sport I would be partaking in. Since my entire trip was revolving around the idea of adventure & spirituality, I took up both Parasailing and Coral Walking.

Parasailing was extreme fun especially when the boat slowed down and you get the experience to plunge down and soak yourself into the water and then fly like a bird again. The view was simply superb and the wind blowing through your disheveled hair further lightened the airiness around you. It was time for Coral Walking next.

It was indeed a one of a kind mesmerizing activity where you get to see live corals and fishes face to face with a very strict advise to not to touch any of the living corals. The walk was a walk to remember! particularly with the heavy and round mask around the head. I had always wanted to try out SCUBA diving and Snorkeling.

But, as of date till now, I hadn't gotten the right opportunity to immerse into the wondrous and colorful oceanic life that lies within the deep and vast waters of our planet. Fortunately, the Coral Walking came close to it. Hopefully, one day in the future, working hard and with enough savings in my bank account again, I would be able to attempt these 2 activities in a picturesque setting as The Andamans or Maldives.

After lounging in the beach and basking in the pristine and azure waters, the guides had arranged us lunch @ another Indian restaurant when we reached the land from the Coral Islands by the returning speed boat. I wouldn't say that the food was excellent but considering the fact that I was ravenous from the water sports, the food appeared delicious. To put it in simple terms, it was okay-okay.

My travel operator friend had explicitly given me sound advise before embarking on the trip to HK and Thailand that the massages in Thailand were nothing but a quick way to rob not only money but also a medium for sexual diseases. Keeping that it in mind, as soon as the guides told us that they will be taking us to a Massage Hub, I politely declined their offer and asked them what other important place to visit in this gorgeous town. Unanimously, they said it was Walking Street.

The entire stretch of Walking Street was a hive of activity where you can see entertainers like The Golden Statue Man or Magicians or dancers performing on either side of the narrow street with throngs of people flocking into pubs and bog standard massage centers with slinky girls showing interested candidates a book of their specialties. The full segment of the Walking Street was vibrant and energetic. Party lovers will have a whale of time in this place. As there was nothing of significant interest to capture my attention, it was just a simple and long to-fro walk down the lively street.

The Tuk-Tuk Auto which dropped me off nearby my hotel is a MUST for all those who travel to Pattaya. Since we had an early wake up call to depart to Bangkok in the following morning, I was out like light as soon as I reached my hotel.

It was time to leave the splendid Pattaya. But, not without having a brief halt at the Gem Factory en route to Bangkok. It was nothing but a dignified way to lure the tourists to purchase their expensive exhibited items. As I was already cash-strapped, you know what I would have done. Yep. Wait for the guides to give their clarion call for our drive to Bangkok. 

Bashing Bangkok is for Part 2.


                                                              X--To be Concluded--X

PS:
If the guides tell you that there is a beautiful Russian Show, please refrain from unnecessarily shelling out extra bucks as it is nothing but a strip show. As the Alcazar Show was out of the world, I thought, okay assumed! my darn mistake!!, that the Russian Show must be exquisite and found out after going there that it was a strip show.

In fact, there were 2 shows side by side. Since even many old people, men and women, went to a particular show, I thought it should be good and found it to be boring, waste of time and had to leave in between to Walking Street afterwards.

So, anything other than the world-famous Alcazar Show, do ask questions and clarify your doubts with your guides regarding what the show is about without blindly assuming as I that all the events are like the stunning Alcazar Show in case you don't want to expend your hard-earned money on frivolous stuffs. Just a heads-up.


No comments: