Monday, July 18, 2016

Pattappa's Thaligai - A Cracker of a Lunch Buffet!!

It was a toss between Annalakshmi and Pattappa's Thaligai. The latter won the competition hands down even without the coin being flipped! My friend told me that it's a traditional and authentic TamBrahm Iyengar restaurant which serves outstanding meals. Is that the differentiating factor as Annalakshmi is also pure vegetarian? Price. And I will definitely talk about it later on in this review.

So, my friends and I dropped in at around 2pm. As I was completely new to RA Puram, I did not have an easy time in locating the place. But, to the local denizens, it's a walk in the park, literally and figuratively, as the restaurant is just opposite to Nageswara Rao Park. The restaurant was jam-packed even at that time and it took us some time to get seated in our allotted places.

We were so ravenous that the moment we got the bill from the counter and had a good look at the neat and clean place, we headed straight to the buffet section. The rule goes like this: Everyone has to compulsorily have their first course from the spread counters. Subsequently, the items will be served at the table by the polite staffs for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th till your 'n' and 'n+1'th filling.

So, the buffet began with a couple of Chapatis, Aviyal, Sambar rice, Tamarind rice, Payasam, Potato varuval and Vadagam. The Chapatis were the usual. No big difference compared to other places. But, the aviyal was going all bonkers and dancing to all tunes on my taste buds! It was exactly the way my mom used to prepare @ home. If I thought the Aviyal was the best thing since sliced bread, I was proved completely wrong until I tasted the Payasam. Sweetness Embodiment to the extent that I had to leave behind some payasam in the cup as it was too sugary. The hot Sambar Rice with the right kind of spicy Potato varuval was like the venn pongal they offer in Nanganallur Anjeyar Temple. It was heaven! The combo was so perfect that I could have ordered only the Sambar rice alone instead of the entire buffet! Likewise, the Tamarind Rice with the vadagam combo was equally good but it still fell short of the Sambar Rice! As ever, the Curd rice with Mormilaga and pickle was the ideal soothing agent for the stung tongue with the lingering stunning taste of the delicious Sambar Saadham.

The Buffet is priced @ Rs. 170. You cannot get such a terrific lunch which is exactly like how it is prepared at your homes. I was fondly remembered of my mom's and paati's sleight of hand when they create some culinary magic  - The strong happy emotions I felt when I dined here is something priceless!

No comments: