Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Memorable Evening

Lights beautifully bedecked the hemispherical dome. Lamps dazzled the already refulgent black and brown structure stained by oil. The stillness stimulated my senses to a degree which I haven't read so far in Geometry. But then, there was one thing which I was able to say with such much certitude. I was entering into a paradise. All my hairs stood up like those of a porcupine by the very entry into it. The atmosphere was so very charged. Something as vague as epsilon multiplied by 4 pi entered my mind. I dismissed the very thought of it as I knew that even during my 12th standard, I had much difficulty in remembering that dratted electrostatic formula. Suddenly, a wave brought me back to the reality from my disillusioned geometry and physics. It was the wave that described the true quintessence of selfless devotion. The charged atmosphere was charged even more by the vibrant wave of people chanting 'Swamiye Saranama Iyyappa' in unison. I joined the multiple of 30 odd people who must be in the temple at that time, some semi-naked and others cladded in the typical black and black outfit. Wading through such an intense crowd was a herculean task by itself. After crossing many such hurdles (even PT Usha might have been proud of me!), a sense of accomplishment overtook me when I stood before the sandalwood-adorned Iyyappan. No words can describe such infallible beauty. Standing there, I was beginning to lose myself when, as ever, the over-hyped intuition of mine started hyper-ventilating like a playful puppy. I didn't know what was going to happen but I was sure something was about to happen then. Based on that premise, I started to circle the temple premises. Hardly I took 14 steps, I knew then I could trust my intuition. It happened. The 30 odd mutiple people reduced slowly and gradually, and naturally the number of persons wearing black declined in the same fashion. But, she was not to be. Her floral pink dress just could not be missed in the throng of endless blacks. Praying that she may turn , she did turn exactly after my obligation was completed. I have heard : Cleopatra to be an enchantress; Ramba, Maneka, Oorvashi penetrated the concentration of many a sagacious sage via their glamorous structural composition and physical effemination. But, those damsels were only "heard". But, this girl was for real. In solid flesh and bone. If they were alive now, she is sure to have swallowed them all in a single gulp. As I was thinking what should be done next, many a head turned towards her direction and instantly I knew that competition was brewing. I just did what I had to do. Taking long strides, I reached her first and kissed her gently on her fore-head. She blushed. The on-lookers looked at me flabbergasted. Knowing very well that I beat the competition, I asked them to continue their own way when my eyes caught hers. It spoke tomes of innocence which only an innocent could have understood the best. Belonging to the elite culprit category, I was trying very hard to decipher that purity and chastity which her eyes spoke so loudly and clearly, and in volumes. I felt I was being imprinted. Thinking it must be the hangover of yester night's Breaking Dawn effect, finally, I tore my eyes away to see what was she upto. She still bore hers onto mine and smiled a smile which made me to feel that I was virtually levitating against the profound gravitational effect. The more she saw me, the more I felt being rised higher and higher and I realised that heaven was not beyond our beloved Mother Earth but within her. I would have touched the illimitable sky if it were not a sharp-sounding raspy voice asking me "What are you doing with my daughter" , thus breaking the eternal connection. Getting my senses back after the mesmerization, I was beginning to be cognizance of the surrounding when a finger tapped on my shoulder asking the same question in the same exact tone. I could feel the nail impinge on my skin beneath my thick T. It was her mother. By the looks of her, I could tell that she was very wary of strangers and even more warier of those who give a kiss to her daughter. If I hadnt opened my mouth then, I was sure that she would have called her Tarzan ! "Now I know from where your daughter got her beauty" was the only sole reply I could tell on seeing her. She blushed even more than her daughter to the extent her cheeks went from pinky rose to reddish red. Needless to say, she was fair. Seeing her mom, she conveniently went and stood beside her as if nothing had transpired until then, keeping her gaze fixed upon me. By the look on our faces, her mother knew that some sort of invisible connection existed between us. She remained silent to see if I were to say something. Anything. But, I was just transfixed by the spell her daughter had cast on me at no cost. Her tufts of hair started to dance in a mellifluence melody as soon as the gentle breeze laid its foothold on her. It was a sight to behold. Seconds grew into minutes and yes, before the minutes grew into hours, once again, her mom disrupted the link by saying " It is time. We should go now". No words escaped my mouth. I felt as I was dumb all my life. Heeding her mother, the girl started walking with a disappointed look on her lovely face. With every step she took, it seemed like she was at a distant light years away from me. Finally, finding my voice, I asked "Aunty. What is your daughter doing?". "A person knowing how to kiss my daughter knows very well to ask her this question" . She gave me the terse reply with a smile. "Enna Panra??" was the only thing which sprang to my mind. She looked at her mom and a silent nod indicated her approval. Once again, she gave me that assassin smile (making my insides to soar again) and replied "Nan adutha varusham lkg sera poren" and left the place and me but her innocent graceful face and her ' kallakabadam ' iladha smile left me with a boundless magnitude of an infinite joy.